Now that Spring has arrived, we’ll start to notice the effects of Winter on our homes. One of the best things you can do to keep your house looking great is to be vigilant for maintenance issues. One small thing, if overlooked, can turn into a much costlier repair later.
Today I’d like you to meet Mitch Kanter, owner of Paint Plus and More, located in Highland Park and serving the greater North Shore area. He’s going to give us his expert advice on what to look for and how to keep our homes in beautiful shape.
- Mitch, how long have you been in the painting business and what qualifications/certifications do you have?
- What would be the 5 top things that homeowners should be looking to address after the long, wet winter we’ve had?
I have been in business for 8 years. We are RRP certified by the EPA, which means we are certified to properly handle projects which may have lead paint on surfaces. Any company doing most repair work in homes built before 1978 must carry certification to legally be able to perform work in the home. We are also licensed to do work in Illinois and Wisconsin.
It is very important to walk around the outside AND inside of your home, and look for any indications of water damage in your interior, and any indication of rotted or dry wood on your exterior. Here are some things to look for:
- Interior: Check for water stains on your ceilings, in every room of your house. Water is tricky and sneaky. It will get in wherever it could get in from outside. If you wait too long, mold might start to grow, and/or the water will continue to damage your ceiling.
- Interior: Check your window walls. Usually indicators will be on the wall, below or near the window.
- Exterior: Check for rotted wood. Sometimes these areas are obvious, and sometimes you cannot diagnose it from the ground. If you notice any surfaces of your home are rotting, these need to be replaced.
- Exterior: Look for dry wood. If your siding or other surfaces are starting to crack, this is an indication the wood is drying out, and needs to be coated with paint or stain. Another indicator is that the nails are popping out, and are no longer secure.
- Exterior: Check your gutters. Maybe when its raining, or just after it has stopped, take a look at your gutters and downspouts. If you notice any areas are clogged, this should be addressed immediately.
Paints Plus & More, Inc. is a full service painting contractor. Our small company of 6 painters are happy to offer the best customer service and a wide variety of painting services. We offer interior and exterior painting, staining, wallpaper installation, wallpaper removal, and deck refinishing. We also work with the best artists in the Chicago area, offer custom finishes and murals for all ages and styles.
Please visit our website at www.paintsplusmoreinc.com. You may also call our office at 847.902.9911.
Thank you for sharing your expertise with us, Mitch!