Here are some things I recently learned about the color red, thanks to Ethel Rompilla’s book: Color for Interior Design
- Humans’ use of the color red dates back to ancient cultures and even to the Neanderthal’s use of red ochre which was spread on graves.
- The word red comes from the Sanskrit word for blood- rudhira.
- In ancient Egypt the color was used to restore life through healing and protection from fire.
- During early Christian times, red symbolized compassion and martyrdom
- For the ancient Greeks, red symbolized sacrifice and love.
- In Islam, red represents spring, morning, and childhood.
- Red dyes came from insects and plants.